All doctoral students of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Bern as well as external applicants affiliated to the Faculty, e.g. within the scope of a cotutelle, are invited to apply for a temporary associated membership in the Graduate School at the Faculty of Humanities (GSH). Applications are possible each semester.
Requirements for Applicants:
In addition to having a degree required for a doctoral thesis supervised and written at the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Bern, you should meet the following requirements:
- Your doctoral research project meets the standards of excellent research within your field.
- It involves interdisciplinary elements which allow you to profit from the offered interdisciplinary program.
- Your command of German and English is sufficient to participate in the program | for applicants for the program Studies in Language and Society only: sufficient active competence in at least two of the languages used at the CSLS and a passive competence in at least one other language are required.
- External applicants have a letter of invitation of a professor of the Faculty of Humanities.
Letter of application (not more than 2 pages)
- Letter of motivation for applying to the Graduate School
- A list of disciplines relevant to your research
- Specifications of the benefits of an interdisciplinary exchange for your project and which of our three doctoral programs are interesting to you
- Summary in English (15 to 20 lines)
- Description of planned research: theses, theories, method, literature, preparatory steps (not more than 4 pages)
- 5 to 10 theoretical-methodological concepts, categories for analysis, keywords for your doctoral research project
- For external applicants: A letter of invitation of a professor of the Faculty of Humanities
- For doctoral students of the Faculty of Humanities: Confirmation by the main supervisor of your doctoral thesis at the University of Bern
- CV (not more than 2 pages)
- List of publications (if available)
Application deadlines: July 31 for the following fall term / December 31 for the following spring term
Please compile all documents needed for the application into a single PDF file (gsh_LastName.pdf) and send it to Dr. des. Michael Toggweiler, email@example.com
We will communicate our decision to you once we have reviewed all written applications.
If you have any questions regarding the application procedure or about the study plan of the GSH, please contact the coordinator of the GSH, Dr. des. Michael Toggweiler: firstname.lastname@example.org