GSAH Call for Membership 2019
Global Studies, Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies, Studies in Language and Society, Studies in the Arts (new as of 1.8.2019/former doctoral program of the Graduate School of the Arts)
Application deadline: 31.07.2019
All doctoral students of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Bern as well as external applicants whose PhD theses are to be written and supervised in Bern are invited to apply for membership in the Graduate School of the Arts and Humanities (GSAH), and to participate in one of our four doctoral programmes Global Studies, Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies, Studies in Language and Society (cf. also information on www.gsah.unibe.ch), or Studies in the Arts (new from 1.8.2019 / information on www.sinta.unibe.ch).
The GSAH promotes the exchange and networking with other peers both from inside and outside the University as well as within the international scientific community. It offers educational modules of outstanding quality, a wide range of counseling, administrative and financial support for the organization of or the participation in conferences, practical additional qualifications (soft skill classes) and professional workspaces at Unitobler.
Requirements for Applicants:
In addition to having a degree required for a doctoral thesis supervised and written at the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Bern, you should meet the following requirements:
- Your doctoral research project meets the standards of excellent research within your field.
- It involves inter- or transdisciplinary elements which allow you to profit from the offered inter- and transdisciplinary programs.
- Your command of German (at least passive knowledge) and English is sufficient to participate in the program
- External applicants have a letter of invitation of a professor of the Faculty of Humanities.
- Your first supervisor is a professor at the Phil.-hist. Faculty.
- Only for applications for the doctoral programme Studies in the Arts: Your second supervisor is a lecturer with a PhD degree at the Bern University of the Arts (HKB).
Letter of application (not more than 2 pages)
- Letter of motivation for applying to the Graduate School and the doctoral program envisaged
- A list of disciplines/arts relevant to your research
- Specifications of the benefits of an inter- or transdisciplinary exchange for your project and which of our four doctoral programs are interesting to you
- Summary in English (15 to 20 lines)
- Description of planned research: theses, theories, method, literature, preparatory steps (not more than 4 pages)
- 5 to 10 theoretical-methodological concepts, categories for analysis, keywords for your doctoral research project
- Confirmation of matriculation and doctorate at the University of Bern
- Confirmation and recommendation by the main supervisor of your doctoral thesis at the University of Bern
- Only for applications for the doctoral programme Studies in the Arts: Confirmation of supervision with recommendation of the second supervisor
- CV (not more than 2 pages)
- List of publications (if available)
Application deadline: July 31, 2019 for the following fall term (December 31, 2019 for the following spring term).
Please compile all documents needed for the application into a single PDF file (gsah_LastName_hs19.pdf) and send it to Dr. Michael Toggweiler, firstname.lastname@example.org
We will communicate our decision to you once we have reviewed all written applications (beginnihg of September). Admissions take place at the beginning of the semester. Already attended events of the GSAH before the admission can be credited.
If you have any questions regarding the application procedure or about the study plan of the GSAH, please contact the coordinator of the GSAH, Dr. Michael Toggweiler: email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the content of the Global Studies programme, please contact the program manager, Prof. Dr. Thomas Späth: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding the content of the Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies programme, please contact the program manager, Prof. Dr. Christina Thurner: email@example.com
If you have any questions about the programme Studies in Language and Society, please contact the programme assistant, Christa Schneider MA: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding the programme Studies in the Arts, please contact the programme managers, Prof. Dr. Michaela Schäuble: email@example.com and Prof. Dr. Thomas Gartmann: firstname.lastname@example.org